Pre-marital counseling is a specialized type of therapy usually provided by marriage and family therapists. This form of therapy offer benefit to all couples who are considering getting marriage. Typically, the goal of premarital counseling is to identify and address any potential areas of conflict in a relationship early on, before those issues become serious concerns, and teach partners effective strategies for discussing and resolving conflict.
Pre-marital counseling is generally recommended for all couples, even those with a relationship untroubled by significant issues. Beginning a commitment such as marriage with couples counseling is not only helpful because it can help each partner address their thoughts, concerns, and expectations for the partnership, but also because it can help couples feel more at ease with therapy if they experience difficulty later on. Studies show that couples that receive pre-marital counseling have a higher chance of success in matrimony.
Dr. Duany is a certified facilitator of PREPARE-ENRICH. PREPARE-ENRICH leads the way in helping couples explore and strengthen their relationships. The main component of the program is an online survey you each complete in about 30-45 minutes. PREPARE/ENRICH is not just any survey. The items you respond to are based on research and are intended to help you identify the unique strengths and potential growth areas of your premarital or married relationship.
PREPARE/ENRICH will help you:
- Identify strength and growth areas
- Explore personality traits
- Strengthen communication skills
- Resolve conflicts and reduce stress
- Compare family backgrounds
- Comfortably discuss financial issues
- Establish personal, couple, and family goals
PREPARE/ENRICH assesses these areas of your relationship:
- 12 Relationship Scales — communication, conflict resolution, roles, sexuality, finances, spiritual beliefs, and more
- 5 SCOPE Personality Scales
- 4 Couple and Family Scales — based on Circumplex Model
- 4 Relationship Dynamic Scales
- 30 Customized Scales